Berkeley Humane provides complete care for homeless animals, from rescue to rehabilitation to placement. We match animals with loving and committed adopters, strengthen the human-animal bond, and promote the humane treatment of animals.
Our vision is to be an innovative leader in animal welfare and to provide critical resources to our community, leading the way with best practices in animal care to reduce the number of homeless animals in our community and beyond.
The presence of a humane organization in any community is as vital as any other public service organization. In 1927 three citizens, concerned about homeless animals in Alameda County, formed the Animal Rescue Haven at the corner of Ninth and Carleton Streets. George Denny converted the building (originally a pool hall) into kennels and he and his wife solicited food scraps from local merchants to feed the homeless animals, until they could be placed in new homes. Mr. Denny later became the Executive Director and President of the Board of Animal Rescue Haven.
In 1957 the Animal Rescue Haven was renamed the Berkeley-East Bay Humane Society. Kennels and catteries were added and further building expansion took place, including the addition of a veterinary hospital. In the 1970s the Board of Directors declared all adoptable animals would find homes regardless of length of stay in our shelter.